Top Products for Acne
Acne is a skin condition that can have a profound effect on a person’s self confidence. Unlike other issues, acne is something which is highly visible and people who suffer from it often tend to seek out every advertised "miracle" product in order to clear up their skin.
Let’s talk about some acne myths. There are so many surrounding this condition and people with acne often blame themselves for their breakouts. Perhaps the biggest myth is related to food. Eating greasy foods, chocolate, and drinking coffee do not cause acne. Another myth is that your face isn’t clean enough. People with acne tend to wash their faces multiple times a day in an attempt to get cleanse away the oil, but this actually causes more harm and results in more acne breakouts.
The Key Cause of Acne
Those with acne have pores that have become clogged by trapped oils, or sebum. The trapped sebum collects in the pores and will eventually develop bacteria. This combination of clogged pores and bacteria results in acne. The buildup of bacteria in the pores will ultimately result in inflammation and that is when the red pimples become visible and sore.
Skin Care Tips for Acne
- Wash your face with a gentle, fragrance free cleanser twice daily.
- Use a cotton pad to apply an alcohol-free toner designed for sensitive skin to remove any traces of cleanser and help calm redness. Look for one with cucumber on the ingredients label. My go-to is Seed Cucumber Facial Toner.
- Exfoliate regularly with an oil soluble exfoliant such as salicylic acid. This ingredient is able to get right into the pores to help purge the sebum and bacteria. If you do not clear your clogged pores via exfoliation, your battle with acne will continue.
- Use a spot treatment containing Tea Tree Oil, a natural essential oil, rather than harmful benzoyl peroxide. Studies show that it is just as effective as the chemical alternative.
- Moisturize daily with a light, oil-free moisturizer. It is important to keep your skin hydrated and soothed while it is healing from acne.
Be patient! There is nothing more you want than to be rid of your acne, but please remember that it will take at least 2-3 weeks of a consistent skin care routine to help repair your skin. If you do not notice any results, then we recommend you make an appointment with a dermatologist because a prescription topical cream may be in order.
Favorite Skincare Products for Acne:
Avene Extremely Gentle Cleanser is an exceptional cleanser for hypersensitive skin. Acneic skin is inflamed skin and it needs something truly gentle. Avene is top-notch.
Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant is one of two 2% BHA products I adore. Believe it or not, the other is a pad from Stridex. This one, though, is gentler and I love that it is in liquid form. It's one of my most recommended products for those suffering from acne.
Lancome Pure Empreinte Masque is a 5-minute mask with kaolin and montmorillonite to help deep clean the pores. It is a tried and true, timeless skincare mask and you will adore it.
Belif Tea Tree Oil is not just tea tree. Science tells us that spot treating with tea tree is just as effective as harsh benzoyl peroxide. I love this one, as it combines pure tea tree oil with soothing chamomile, bergamot, sunflower oil and more.
Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Oil-Free Lotion is one I recommend if you are desperate for extra moisture but have really oily skin.