Holiday Sweets: Peanut Butter Cups
A couple years back, I posted several recipes for holiday treats to eat yourself or to give as gifts. I'm going to do that again this year. Some recipes will be new and others will be shared from then as they are tried and true. Here is one of those--Homemade Peanut Butter Cups.
Yum. Each one looks different depending on how you pour the layers.
This is the peanut butter filling. It's creamy peanut butter mixed with melted white chocolate.
These rich peanut butter delights are topped with chopped dry roasted peanuts.
Every now and then you make a treat you fully intend on giving away as gifts, but that you just cannot bear to part with. These are so sinfully rich and decadent that you'll want to make them again and again.
I like peanut butter cups as much as the next gal. They are good, but not a must have in my candy repertoire. I decided to make homemade peanut butter cups yesterday afternoon. These are good. Really good.
NOTES: Below you will find the original Martha Stewart recipe. I tripled this one. Depending on how high you fill the cups, you'll get 8-10 large cups rather than the minis below.
- 4 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 12 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted roasted peanuts, chopped
- Line two 12-cup mini muffin pans with paper liners; set aside. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine white chocolate and peanut butter. Microwave, until almost melted, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, stirring halfway through. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, place semisweet chocolate in another microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, stirring once or twice, until almost melted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Dividing evenly, use a spoon to layer semisweet chocolate and peanut-butter mixture into liners, beginning and ending with chocolate; sprinkle with peanuts. Place muffin pans in freezer until peanut butter cups are firm, about 15 minutes. Bring to room temperature before serving.
*Recipe source Everyday Food, March 2008 and marthastewart.com